What are the best foods to eat when you use CBD?
When taking CBD oil, maximising its bioavailability can help ensure that you get the most out of your dose.
Bioavailability refers to the degree and rate at which a substance is absorbed into your bloodstream and becomes active in your body.
While there isn't a specific list of foods that are guaranteed to enhance CBD bioavailability, there are some general dietary and lifestyle tips that can potentially improve the absorption and effectiveness of CBD:
- Healthy Fats: CBD is a fat-soluble compound, so consuming it with healthy fats can enhance its absorption. Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as fatty fish (salmon, mackerel, sardines), avocados, nuts, and olive oil, may be beneficial.
- Medium-Chain Triglycerides (MCTs): MCT oil is often recommended as a carrier oil for CBD products. It is believed to increase the bioavailability of CBD. You can find MCT oil in coconut oil, which can be used as a cooking oil or added to food and beverages. It's worth noting that all of our oils are made with MCT already!
- Black Pepper: Black pepper contains a compound called piperine, which may enhance the bioavailability of various compounds, including CBD. Consider adding a pinch of black pepper to your meals.
- Turmeric: Turmeric contains curcumin, which has potential bio enhancing effects. Curcumin may improve the absorption of CBD and other compounds. You can use turmeric in cooking or try turmeric supplements.
Lecithin: Lecithin is an emulsifier that can improve the absorption of fat-soluble compounds like CBD. You can find lecithin in foods like egg yolks, soybeans, and sunflower seeds.
Grapefruit: Grapefruit contains compounds that may interact with certain enzymes in the liver, potentially affecting the metabolism of CBD. This can result in increased CBD levels in the bloodstream. However, be cautious if you are taking medication, as grapefruit can interact with many drugs.
Healthy Diet: Maintaining an overall healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can support your body's ability to absorb and utilize nutrients, including CBD.
Stay Hydrated: Drinking an adequate amount of water is essential for overall health and may also help with the absorption of CBD.
- Consistency: Taking CBD oil with food consistently, rather than on an empty stomach, may help with absorption. However, individual responses to CBD can vary, so it's essential to monitor how your body reacts.