CBD comes in a wide variety of forms, including:
Arguably, one of the most convenient ways of taking CBD is vaping it. For those not familiar with the term, this simply means inhaling the vapour of CBD e-liquid. Vaping is certainly growing in popularity, especially with the younger generation. But some aspects of the process might be confusing. For instance, you might be interested in trying CBD vape, but not be sure how to use a CBD vape pen. You might not even be sure what one is!
In simple terms, to vape you require a vaping device such as a vape pen, and CBD vaping juice, also known as e-liquid. Vape pens are generally quite easy to use. In addition, they are also discreet and reasonably priced.
In this post, we will show you how to use a CBD vape pen and share tips on how to make the most of your CBD vape. But first, let's look at how to choose a good vape pen.
Choosing a good vape pen
Vape pens come in a variety of prices and colours. They come either as disposable or refillable devices. Disposable vape pens are good for beginners as they come ready to use and you can simply discard them once you run out of e-liquid. On the other hand, refillable vape pens allow the user to refill the cartridge once they run out. Refillable vape pens come with instructions from the manufacturer on how to refill the cartridge.
Just make sure you are using quality CBD e-liquid! CBD e-liquid is specially designed for vaping, and you should avoid simply mixing CBD oil with e-liquid yourself.
Whether disposable or refillable, a vape pen should be easy to use and refill. A good vape pen should also be pocket-sized. While it is optional, replaceable coils can save you money in the long run.
The anatomy of a CBD vape pen
A CBD vape pen comprises three parts:
- Battery - The battery is what powers the device and heats up the e-liquid to produce vapour. A 510 thread battery is the standard in most vape pens. As a rule of thumb, the longer the stick battery is, the more power it has.
- Cartridge/Atomizer - Atomizers comprise coils of various resistances and a piece of cotton wool to soak the e-liquid. Cartridges are either refillable or prefilled with the CBD vape, so you should know how much you need before you get a vape pen.
- Mouthpiece - The mouthpiece is the contact point of the vape pen with your mouth. It’s through the mouthpiece that you inhale the vapour from the device. This part of the vape pen sometimes comes as a fixed part of the device, or it can be a removable component.
Some CBD vape pens will also come with a detachable charger for charging the battery.
CBD vape pens are either draw-activated or push-button activated. With draw-activated ones, you only need to inhale to activate the battery. They are simple to use, and some of them come with a twist cap at the bottom of the stick battery for regulating the voltage.
Push-button activated vape pens, as the name suggests, utilize a button for control. To turn on the vape pen, you simply push the button five times. To adjust the heat, you click on the button three times, while to draw in a vape, you just need to press and hold.
How to use a CBD vape pen
When using a disposable CBD vape pen, the process is simple.
- Take out your CBD vape pen and push the activate button if there is one. An indicator light should go on.
- Inhale through the mouthpiece. For a draw-activated pen, an indicator light goes on at this stage.
- Release the vapour through the mouth or nose. Advanced vapers can do tricks with the exhaled vapour, but it takes practice.
- Wait for a few minutes to gauge how you feel. Repeat the process.
- For vape pens with adjustable voltages, always start with the lowest.
For refillable CBD vape pens, you need to:
- Fill your cartridge with CBD e-liquid following the manufacturer's instructions. Do not flood the coils or underfill them.
- Give the coils five to ten minutes to allow them to absorb the liquid.
- Once the coils absorb the liquid through the mouthpiece, take a puff.
- Exhale the vapour.
- Wait a few minutes before repeating the process.
Remember there is no need to hold the vapour in. You can simply inhale and exhale normally.
Tips on how to make the most of your CBD vape pen
Choose the right vaping device
E-liquid is comprised of propyl glycol, vegetable glycerine, and flavouring. These are the base ingredients with which CBD, nicotine and other substances are mixed to make the various kinds of vape juice. CBD does not mix easily with vegetable glycerine. Therefore it is necessary to change the PG:VG ratio to a higher proportion of PG for CBD e-liquid. The result is a thinner liquid compared to nicotine e-liquid.
The type of vape pen for vaping CBD e-liquid is also different from the type for nicotine e-liquid. CBD e-liquid will leak and make a mess in your pocket if you use a vape pen for nicotine e-liquid. CBD vape juice should also not be used with large tanks as it may leak.
Cleaning your coils
If you notice a reduction in flavour, get a burnt taste, or find the vapour less pleasant than usual, you may need to deep clean your coils. A visual check will reveal the presence of any unwanted build-up on the coils. While it is possible to replace the coils on some devices, you may not be in a position to at the moment. Deep cleaning the coils may give them an extra lease of life and keep them working for longer. Regular cleaning makes the coils last longer and ultimately saves you money. At the same time, it can improve the taste of your vape.
To deep clean your coils you will need to:
- First, rinse the coil head in the water and brush off the debris. To clean the coils you can use a toothbrush or a similar cleaning tool.
- Soak the coil’s head in alcohol for 12 hours. Make sure you submerge the coils fully.
- Rinse the alcohol with hot water and then leave it in water for a few hours.
- Wrap the coil in paper towels to dry and then leave them overnight to completely dry before reassembling your device.
Cleaning your coils may help to prolong their lifespan. But if you still experience an off taste, or something about the vapour is still not quite right, you need to change the coils. More advanced vapers can go for replaceable coils, and others can even make the coils by themselves.
Follow the right dosage
If you don’t get the CBD vape dosage right, you may end up disappointed. Especially If you are a beginner to vaping, it's a good idea to start small and build up from there. Start with low-concentration CBD in small amounts and increase as you become used to it. Always be sure to follow the dosage recommendations provided by the manufacturer.
Vape at the right voltage
Using a low voltage to heat CBD will not get you the desired effect in terms of both the quantity of vapour and its flavour. On the other hand, too high a voltage will burn the CBD and make it useless. The boiling point of CBD is relatively low, but a range of 3.3 to 3.8 volts is generally okay. Most users agree on 3.7V as the optimal voltage for the perfect vape.
Learn to vape correctly
Before you start vaping with refillable vape pens, ensure you allow the coils soak in the vape juice fully in order to avoid a dry hit. You want to take your time and let the taste and flavour sink in. It's best to do it slowly and let the vapour reach the lungs, not just the mouth. However, there's no need to hold the vapour in. Simply breathe in and out deeply and slowly. Also, it is better to avoid taking quick, successive hits. Instead, take a break after each inhale. Taking a break will make the experience much more enjoyable.
Experiment with different flavours
Some people find unflavoured CBD to have a bitter taste that they don't enjoy. Some even find it off-putting, and are discouraged from taking CBD because of this. Fortunately, there are many flavoured e-liquids you can try. At Supreme CBD, we offer a wide range of e-liquids in a variety of flavours. You can get flavours like: Sunset Sherbert, Cherry OG Kush, and Pineapple Express, among many others. So, there will always be an option for you, whatever your taste!
The bottom line on how to use a CBD vape pen
Vaping is one of the most efficient methods of taking CBD. You can enjoy your daily dose by using a vape pen while on the move or relaxing at home. But to enjoy a quality vape, you need to care for your CBD vape pen. You should be sure to clean it regularly and use it correctly. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for the best results. Only deal with credible suppliers to ensure quality and safe products.