How to make your own delicious CBD chocolate
CBD chocolate is becoming a top favourite for many CBD users, our CBD gummies being a very popular edible. Chocolate lovers describe the experience of the delicious dessert melting in your mouth as heavenly, and what better way to enjoy your daily intake of CBD than this.
Companies have taken notice and already shelve numerous commercial CBD chocolates on the market. If you enjoy making your edibles at home, bath bombs for example - then CBD chocolate is among the easiest. With just a few supplies and ingredients available in the kitchen, you can make yourself this delicious treat.
In this post, we will show you all the tips and tricks to making irresistible CBD chocolate. But first, what exactly is this?
What is CBD chocolate?
Just like the name suggests, it is chocolate infused with CBD. These are the most common ways of consuming CBD:
CBD edibles are also a very discreet method of taking CBD. Nobody will look at you twice when you enjoy a delicious piece of chocolate, but other methods such as vaping do not have the same effect.
CBD is sold in either of these three forms:
Each of these can be infused with chocolate to make CBD chocolate. When buying CBD chocolate, always ensure you confirm from the list of ingredients which form of CBD has been used. Full-spectrum CBD contains trace amounts of THC, while isolate and broad-spectrum do not carry any THC.
Full-spectrum and broad-spectrum have the entire chemical profile of the hemp plant while isolate is pure CBD without any additives. CBD chocolate infuses with CBD like any other form of oil. All it comes down to is the choice depending on your personal tastes. Though we need to indicate that even trace amounts of CBD may compound in the body over time which, may show up during a drug test.
Why choose CBD chocolate?
Infusing CBD into your chocolate is simply a delightful and tasty way to get your dose of CBD. If you wish to take unflavoured CBD oil but can’t stomach the taste, why don’t you mask it by infusing it with chocolate?
Making your infused chocolate is easy, and you're not required to have exceptional cooking skills. You only need a few minutes of your time, and your tasty sweet is ready. At room temperature, CBD chocolate does not melt, making it reasonably easy to carry around.
Dosing CBD chocolate
The temptation to eat all of the CBD chocolate you make is going to be very high. But you have to resist and eat only your daily recommended dosage. A bar of chocolate is subdivided into squares or any unit depending on the mould you are using. The first thing we have to determine is how much CBD is in each square.
Assuming you need each unit to have 10mg of CBD. If you have a total of 15 units, then you need:
15 units * 10mg = 150mg
You will need to use 150mg of CBD to make your chocolate.
CBD oil comes in various concentrations, and it should say so on the bottle’s label. You need to determine how much CBD oil you will use, which depends on CBD in mg you require.
In our example, we need 150mg of CBD.
Let us say we buy a 30ml bottle with CBD concentration of 1500mg. Each ml of the CBD oil contains:
This means we need 3ml of our CBD oil to have 150mg.
Remember to purchase your CBD oil from reputable suppliers willing to share third-party test results. Like with other supplements, please take only the amount you need. It is recommended you should not exceed 75mg.
How to make your own CBD chocolate
Making your own at home does not require much. Homemade chocolate is less expensive, you can even add more healthy ingredients to personalise it to your liking. You will need a double boiler but do not worry if you don’t have one as we will show you how to improvise.
For a quick CBD chocolate recipe, you can melt your chocolate of choice in a double boiler and add CBD oil after it’s melted. Keep stirring to make sure they mix well. Pour into the moulds and freeze or put in the fridge until it hardens.
CBD chocolate recipe 1
Ingredients and utensils
- 250ml unsalted butter
- 250ml broken up chocolate of your choice
- CBD oil of your choice
- Candy moulding trays (food grade silicone)
- Put water in the double boiler and place it on the stove over high heat.
- When the water comes to a boil, turn the heat to low.
- Pour the butter into the double boiler and keep stirring, ensuring it does not burn.
- Add the chocolate to the butter and keep stirring
- When the ingredients are blended, take off from the heat and cool. Do not harden yet.
- Stir in the CBD oil, ensuring it mixes well.
- Pour the CBD chocolate into the mould and place it in the refrigerator or freezer to harden.
CBD Chocolate recipe 2
Ingredients and utensils
- CBD oil of your choice
- 60ml unsalted butter
- 3 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 tsp powdered sugar
- Candy mould
- Double boiler
We will be using CBD-infused butter, which is not something that you find lying idle in most kitchens. This is why we begin by making CBD-infused butter.
How to make CBD butter
- Bring water to a boil in a double boiler.
- Put the butter in and turn the heat to low.
- When the water is melted, add the CBD oil and keep stirring.
- Ensure the butter does not come to a boil.
- When the two are blended nicely
Making CBD chocolate
- Into the CBD butter, sieve the cocoa powder and powdered sugar.
- Keep stirring to ensure they don’t burn.
- When you have the right consistency, pour the mixture into the moulds.
- Keep in the refrigerator for one to two hours to harden.
- The CBD chocolate is now ready. But remember, resist eating more than your recommended dosage.
To make a DIY double boiler, you need to fill a large pot/saucepan with water and place a heatproof dish on top. There should be no contact between the dish and the water.
Tips to make the best CBD chocolate
While the methods above are basic, you may do a few things to deepen your experience.
- Use dark chocolate but not just any dark chocolate, but one that contains cocoa mass, cocoa butter, and sugar. Compared to white chocolate, dark chocolate is richer in flavour, and it’s more healthy.
- Use a higher percentage of cocoa powder as it has more benefits though it is bitter. To reduce the bitter taste, you can add milk or white chocolate.
- You can also add nuts to the CBD chocolate for that extra crunch.
- For a savory flavour to your dark chocolate, add some sea salt to it.
- A bit of orange zest gives your chocolate a citrus flavour.
A neat trick that will increase the bioavailability of CBD chocolate is to place a piece of chocolate under your tongue and let it melt. When CBD chocolate mixes with saliva, it bypasses the liver and digestive system. This way, more of it gets to your body.
Should you choose to use your CBD chocolate in making other dishes remember, the potency of CBD denatures at temperatures higher than 3500F. Choose dishes that do not call for high temperatures or lower the cooking temperature and cook for longer.
Take away on delicious CBD chocolate
CBD chocolate is a yummy and delicious way to enjoy your daily dose of CBD. While many CBD chocolates are available in the market, it is cheaper to make them at home. It is easy, and it does not require any fancy equipment—just basic skills and usual kitchen utensils. You also get to customise the CBD chocolate by adding whatever ingredients you so desire. You can enjoy the delicious treat, but always remember to refrain from eating all of it at once. Follow your recommended daily dose.